30 November 2011

Ignominy

I'm getting tired of the news media. Since the media are 90% liberal Democrats, according to statistics I heard in the last presidential election, their slants, leanings and ravings should not be surprising. Since I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat, I'm past the stage of chuckling and into deploring the way these supposed grownups are acting.

I think I pointed out before some of the columns about morality, which point out that immoral actions are always what the other guy or the other side does. I remember Gary Hart, who I personally knew and thought was a really nice guy, lost a chance to run for Presdient because, as a married man, he spent a weekend on a schmantzy boat named Monkey Business with a leggy, smiley blonde (Donna Rice, truly a real looker and herself a pretty nice girl). Even had he been an inveterate philanderer, he would have been much better than who we ended up with as a Democratic candidate in my opinion. Who really remembers Fritz Mondale? And, can you tell me who did run against Reagan's election in 1988?

Then, though, the "our side is ok but let me tell you what they did" attitude came in. The Clarence Thomas hearings with Anita Hill, for example. Compare those to President Clinton, the Oval Office, the blue dress and his cigar. I mean, Hollywood could not write that script, yet he survived.

Now we witch hunt Herman Cain. Having no substantial political reason to eliminate him from the race, the media rely on the old rumor mill. OK, let's say he DID have a 13-year affair and is lying about not having it. Is he guilty? According to the legal precedent, remember, "that depends on what your definition of is is." Folks, either it doesn't matter and candidates should be allowed to run even if they have colored personal morality (that is NOT a racist remark, by the way), OR we should dumped Clinton way back when. Personally, I would just as soon leave all this personal life stuff out of the election emphasis. It's not like they're gonna be successful at hiding it anyway once it is just casually mentioned. Let us discuss it in the Iowa caucuses, let's see what "We the people" think about this, not we big business, we Wall Street or we the news media.

And, by the way, I think it's the wrong thing to do, but if he wants to have an affair, what business is that of mine, anyway? Only if it threatens national security or turns into blatant hypocrisy. That's my bottom line.

No comments:

Post a Comment